Re: GNOME Roadmap - Information request for orca

Hey Guys:

I'm very sorry I never ended up getting to this. :-( For the 2.27/2.28 cycle, I plan to sit down with the team by the end of this month and go over our bug/RFE list to plan for 2.28.

Our general work process is like this:

1) All work we do is tracked via bugs in Bugzilla. This includes new features as well as bug fixes. All source code changes are attached as patches to bugs and we cross reference all bugs in the ChangeLog. In our minds, if something doesn't have a bug number, it doesn't exist. So, we're religious about using bugzilla.

2) We take advantage of the "Target Milestone" field of each bug, making a milestone for each point release of GNOME (e.g., 2.27.1, 2.27.2, ...). The bugs we plan to work on for 2.28 get a target milestone that makes sense. The bugs we don't plan on working on for a release cycle get a target milestone of "FUTURE", and the bugs we're not quite sure about we leave at "---".

3) At the end of the development cycle, we retarget all the closed bugs done during the development cycle to the stable milestone (i.e., a bug closed for 2.27.1 gets moved from a target milestone of 2.27.1 to 2.28.0). We then delete the development milestones from bugzilla as a means to reduce the size of the target milestone list.

We also try to go over the bug list weekly and might retarget things based upon feedback/patterns from the user list and new reports that have come in. So, at any given time, our current active roadmap sorted in priority and milestone order can be found via a single bug search (there are no 2.27.x milestones yet because we haven't gone over the list for 2.28 yet):

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?columnlist=target_milestone%20priority%20bug_severity%20assigned_to%20short_desc&query_format=advanced&product=orca&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&order=bugs.target_milestone,bugs.priority%2Cbugs.bug_severity%2Cbugs.target_milestone%2Cbugs.bug_id

We also keep some higher level goals (e.g., refactor XYZ, focus on application Q a11y, etc.), but those end up directing how we prioritize and target the bugs.

BTW, for 2.28, I'm also working on developing a plan for Bonobo deprecation. This basically means rewriting a HUGE portion of the GNOME a11y stack, so it's a lot of work. The WIKI page I'm using to track this is at http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/BonoboDeprecation. It's sparse at the moment, but I hope to have some more details filled in very soon.

Hope this helps,

Will

GNOME Roadmap Gang wrote:
Dear module maintainer,

GNOME 2.24 got released a bit more than a month ago and we all started
looking forward for the next releases; looking forward so much that we
would actually love to know your plans, get to live.gnome.org to update
your roadmap page now.

They are listed at http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/Modules ; tell us
about your plans for 2.26.

But there is a twist this time, we want to plan further than the next
six months: we want to define the major goals for the next two years, as
the community is willing to implement fresh/innovative ideas that
improves GNOME's user experience.

Two major ideas came out from the UI hackfest, a new desktop shell and
file management revamping, we believe those are exciting ideas as an
initial effort to define our 3.0 release.  But *YOU* are those who make
GNOME, and we want to read about your ideas.

You will be right thinking two years is a long time, you will also be
right thinking it is a short time, you know best what can be achieved
in such a time frame, so think about the overall user experience, be
free to "break" the current UI (if that brings improvements to our
users, obviously).

That's it, think over it, discuss it with friends, other developers,
the various teams, usability, art, and tell us all you want about it
in the RoadMap pages.  It is very important, as it will also be used
for our release notes and the press coverage of our next release.

Could you do this for December the 4th?

Cheers,

        Frederic, for the Roadmap Gang

PS: http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/ModuleTemplate is a template you