Re: GNOME Roadmap Draft

Hi,

2007/5/22, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org>:
Le lundi 21 mai 2007, à 23:25 +0300, Lucas Rocha a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> As promised, the roadmap draft for 2.20, 2.22 and future releases is
> available at:
>
>   http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/Draft
>
> Proof-readers wanted. So, what I propose is that we polish the draft a
> litle bit (until this wednesday, May 23) and move it to the official
> location (http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap). Then, we make a call for
> feedback on d-d-l and heat up discussion on major topics for future
> releases there.

Looks really great.

Thanks!

I'd add a section "Modules that could be integrated in the near future".
It's not easy, since as Lucas points out, we don't want to create hope
for a module while it's not sure it'll get in. But that's still
interesting to know, I believe. Maybe ask people who are interested in
proposing a module for GNOME to let us know?

I think could add a section like "Proposed modules". I think it's
implicit that there's no garantee they will be actually integrated.

Also, as I said on IRC, I'd prefer to first mail d-d-l with the draft
URL and ask people to not discuss the content but verify there's no
error. Then we move the content to RoadMap and start the feedback part
of the process.

Ok. I'm mailing d-d-l now. I defined a deadline for feedback: friday (May 25).

> - I divided the roadmap into "For Users", "For Developers", "For
> Admins" and "For Everyone". I think in the roadmap context, this works
> better than "User-visible", "Platform" and " Infrastructure &
> Organization". For example, sometimes a change is not user-visible but
> they alter the user experience. Comments?

Maybe it's worth putting a small paragraph at the beginning explaining
this. My first reaction was "this deskbar change is not for users", but
I then realized it could change the user experience. So a small
paragraph could help.

Done.

> - I explicitly pointed the goals which will be implemented by SoC
> projects to motivate the current students and the future ones. :-)

Good :-)

> - We need to heat up discussion about some of the topics triaged
> inside "Proposed GNOME-wide/Platform goals". Those discussions must
> take place in an organized way in d-d-l. We could create separate
> theads for each topic.

That's really important to have separate threads. It helps a lot.

> IMHO, the focus of discussion should be to
> point out when we want to/can deliver certain results and what's
> missing/needed to achieve such goals. My favorite topics include:
>  * Desktop bug reporting (Many people complaining about those)

Is there really something to discuss here? Maybe we should just ask Fer
and Olav to explain their plans to improve things.

Fer is just 5 meters from me now. I'll ask him about those questions. :-)

>  * Metadata and desktop search (Hot topic. Choose a desktop engine? Just
>        use XESAM standard API? Where can it be integrated in the Desktop? When?)
>  * Session management (When can the new gnome-session be released? What
>        needs to be changed in applications? Gnome Goal for this?)

This would be asking for Dan what are his current plans wrt session
management.

Ok.

>  * File system access (Probably released on 2.20, most likely in 2.22. GVFS
>        application migration task-force when it's ready?
>  * Documentation (Mallard is coming. What needs to changed in manuals,
>        user-guides, docs, etc? Gnome Goal for this? New doc editor.)
>  * Evolution Data Server and messaging (Pick an "official" messenger? How can
>        presence/messaging be more integrated in the Desktop? Simplified API
>        for e-d-s?)
> Comments? Suggestions?

That's interesting to bring all those topics on d-d-l for discussion,
but we need to make sure that the discussion is constructive and does
not become a huge useless thread.

That's the real chalenge! :-P

--lucasr