GNOME Roadmap Draft

Hi all,

As promised, the roadmap draft for 2.20, 2.22 and future releases is
available at:

 http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap/Draft

Proof-readers wanted. So, what I propose is that we polish the draft a
litle bit (until this wednesday, May 23) and move it to the official
location (http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap). Then, we make a call for
feedback on d-d-l and heat up discussion on major topics for future
releases there.

Some notes:

- The roadmap is not the release notes. Therefore, we can go a litle
bit deeper into the technical details. I tried to cleanup the
too-specific/internal technical details though.

- I divided the roadmap into "For Users", "For Developers", "For
Admins" and "For Everyone". I think in the roadmap context, this works
better than "User-visible", "Platform" and " Infrastructure &
Organization". For example, sometimes a change is not user-visible but
they alter the user experience. Comments?

- I explicitly pointed the goals which will be implemented by SoC
projects to motivate the current students and the future ones. :-)

- We need to heat up discussion about some of the topics triaged
inside "Proposed GNOME-wide/Platform goals". Those discussions must
take place in an organized way in d-d-l. We could create separate
theads for each topic. IMHO, the focus of discussion should be to
point out when we want to/can deliver certain results and what's
missing/needed to achieve such goals. My favorite topics include:
* Desktop bug reporting (Many people complaining about those)
* Metadata and desktop search (Hot topic. Choose a desktop engine? Just
      use XESAM standard API? Where can it be integrated in the Desktop? When?)
* Session management (When can the new gnome-session be released? What
      needs to be changed in applications? Gnome Goal for this?)
* File system access (Probably released on 2.20, most likely in 2.22. GVFS
      application migration task-force when it's ready?
* Documentation (Mallard is coming. What needs to changed in manuals,
      user-guides, docs, etc? Gnome Goal for this? New doc editor.)
* Evolution Data Server and messaging (Pick an "official" messenger? How can
      presence/messaging be more integrated in the Desktop? Simplified API
      for e-d-s?)
Comments? Suggestions?

Of course, the discussion per se won't solve any of those issues. The
point is to try to look forward, clarify where are going and plan
where we want to go. "Simple", hun? :-P

Let's make this roadmap rock!

--lucasr