Fwd: GNOME Roadmap - Information Request for evince

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nickolay V. Shmyrev <nshmyrev yandex ru>
Date: 07/05/2007 13:51
Subject: Re: GNOME Roadmap - Information Request for evince
To: Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org>
Cc: jrb gnome org, carlosgc gnome org, evince-list gnome org

В Втр, 24/04/2007 в 00:53 +0300, Lucas Rocha пишет:
Dear maintainer,

GNOME 2.18 was released ~1 month ago, and we've all started to focus
on the next development cycle. A new roadmapping process has been
proposed[1] to know our short-term and long-term plans. The goal is to
compose a GNOME-wide roadmap for the next stable releases. And we need
your help to do this. It's important that you take a few minutes to
reply to the following questions before May 7.

Hello all, I hope it's not too late. I'm expressing personal opinion on
this subject and hope others can submit interesting points too.

- What are your plans for GNOME 2.20 (next 4 months, before feature and
 UI freezes)?

The biggest thing is forms and annotations support in Evince. Forms work
was done during last summer and needs to be merged into trunk.
Annotations work is scheduled with this summer of code.

- What are your plans for GNOME 2.22 (next year)?

Evince is not very efficient now. I hope some work will be done in this
area soon.

- Do you have plans for a future release?

Well it would be nice to have the following:

1. Testsuite with a good coverage
2. Better developer documentation
3. Support for specials and printing in DVI
4. Probably metadata should be integrated with common GNOME framework
5. Ally support
6. OCR support
7. Better integrated postscript support with text search, etc.. We still
lack good library to work with postscript, ghostscript is certainly not
so good.

- Do you have any goals from 2.18 that were not achieved? Why?

Everything planned can be done earlier. As usual lack of time and
resources is the main reason for slow movement. We completed some of
scheduled tasks during 2.18 but some issues still exist.

- Is there something that is really missing in our infrastructure or
 platform that would help you?

Specifically for Evince it would be nice to have common dead metadata
storage or app serialization framework. I hope this work will be done
one day.

- Do you have plans to work on other modules not maintained by you?
 What are they?

Personally I am trying to work on different modules like gnome-games,
panel, rhythmbox, evolution and so on. It's very important to keep wide
view over GNOME. I hope others will not stick with Evince only too :)

- Do you have any GNOME-wide goals suggestions for the next releases?

Looking over all recent discussions it would be nice for GNOME to stop
spreading efforts over freedesktop world or Windows or Portland or GTK
or Embedded platforms, etc. For sure integration and unification are
good things until they don't conflict with the main goal. We can just be
perfect development platform and desktop for Linux. But it's just a
thought nothing more :)