Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] ID3 v2.4 support in Rhythmbox?

On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 00:01 +0100, Simon Dedman wrote:
Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question, I've been searching
around &
can only find people having problems about 10 years ago, so maybe
that's
the answer, but just in case: is there any reason why I shouldn't
upgrade
my ID3v2.3 tags to 2.4 when tagging in Kid3?

Out of interest, is there any BENEFIT in doing so?
As a person who has worked on the MusicBrainz Picard tagging tool...

The *only* reason to continue using ID3v2.3 tags is that you expect to
use your MP3 files on a Microsoft Windows computer. Windows Media
Player and the Windows Explorer properties dialog can only read the
2.3 variant. (Last I checked, this is still the case even in Windows
8.)

The ID3v2.4 update fixes some issues relating to handling
multiple-value fields (this is important in Picard, since we use them a
lot), extends the date field to store more than just the year
(although some non-standard tools incorrectly stored full dates in
2.3), and allows the use of UTF-8 text encoding. If all of your
applications work with ID3v2.4, I would recommend using it.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin walton kepstin ca>