Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] patch for playlists not syncing

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 1:12 AM, J.D. Laub <gnome laubster org> wrote:

Hi.  I use playlists quite a lot on my ipod, and I found rb 2.96 wasn't syncing them on ubuntu 12.04.

To reproduce: after creating a playlist within RB, right-click on the device, properties, sync.  When Music was checked, it implicitly checked all items under it (including playlists), but none of my playlists would exist on the ipod after it was unmounted.  The workaround I found was to uncheck Music, then manually check each playlist.  Tedious, but perhaps it's an option for folks who can't build RB from scratch, and happen to read this report before the fix is released.

I found that setting persisted in ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/sync/device-*.conf ; when "Music" is checked, then [music]/enabled is set to true and no playlist is mentioned by name; otherwise it's set to false & each selected playlist appears by name.  The old code would only sync a playlist if it was explicitly mentioned; the fix below adds checking if [music]/enabled is true.  Another solution might be to explicitly mention each playlist by name even if [music]/enabled is set to true, but I suspect what's below is cleaner.

I agree with your diagnosis. The intent of the code is that enabling 'music' will sync all your playlists too. I'm not sure if that's really the right thing to do, but it's what I wanted it to do when I wrote it.

Your patch isn't quite correct, though. The function rb_sync_settings_sync_group is there to check whether a group should be synced, and the bug here is that the sync code was using rb_sync_settings_group_enabled instead of that.

I've committed this change to git master so it'll be in the next release, whatever it ends up being called.