[Rhythmbox-devel] "How does the Album Art display and updates work?"

I'm trying to figure out how to write a plugin in python to update the album art.

The default album art search seems to first search in the album music folder for files like covers or folders and if found then stores the image and displays it.

The next file location appears to be ~/.cache/rhythmbox/covers looking for "artist - album.jpg/png" - if found then stores the image and displays it.

Next it looks for various locations on the internet and if found stores the image and displays it.

It appears that the storage location is a sequential numbered files in the cache folder ~/.cache/rhythmbox/album-art

Have I understood all of this correctly?

If I change/update the files in either the album folder or ~/.cache/rhythmbox/covers it never gets updated in the storage location.

Thus - how can I update the image stored - any hints on the python code would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance.