Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Porting to Gnome3

So this is what Jonathan gave in an earlier thread (that was actually started by you. :-):

Most of the GNOME 3 work is currently in the increasingly inaccurately
named gobject-introspection branch in git:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/rhythmbox/log/?h=gobject-introspection -
if you want to work on this, the first thing you need to do is to get
a working development environment. Building GNOME Shell using jhbuild
gets you most of the way there. Building pygobject and possibly
totem-pl-parser from git is probably all you need to do from there.

The Python plugins (most notably the lyrics, cover art, magnatune and
jamendo plugins) need to be converted to use PyGI introspected
bindings instead of the static rhythmbox bindings and pygtk. Working
on this will probably involve identifying bugs and missing features in
gobject-introspection and pygobject and working to get them fixed.

GTK 3.0 uses different methods for widget size allocation, but so far
I haven't really investigated how we should be using them, so some
things probably don't quite look right. There may be other problems
with the GTK 3.0 code.

Other less vital tasks include reworking existing dbus code to use
gdbus instead of dbus-glib, reworking existing gconf code to use
gsettings, and looking into using libpeas instead of the existing
plugin system. There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting. I've made
a start on some of these, but any code that exists is only stored on
my laptop.

If you want to talk about this more, drop by the #rhythmbox IRC
channel on irc.gnome.org.