Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox: Improved Last.fm Plugin - Weekly Report 1

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Jamie Nicol <jamie thenicols net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 13:53 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

>> You can block those, or rework the stylesheets to do that. A lot of
>> applications use this model, such as Twitterific on iDevices, or even
>> the facebook apps on the same devices (and I guess on Android as well).
>
> Using stylesheets I was able to hide almost everything besides the
> username and password forms. They do, however, share a div with "Forgot
> your password" and "Sign up for an account" links. I'm not particularly
> competent with html/css, so I may be missing something here. But I don't
> know how these could be hidden without hiding *all* anchors in the
> stylesheet, but that would leave random bits of text and look silly.
> Simply leaving the links present but blocking them from taking the user
> anywhere seems wrong and unintuitive from the user's point of view.
>
> But more importantly, I feel the user *should* be able to click these
> links. Needing to sign up for an account or needing a password reminder
> is a genuine use-case. And allowing them to do so from within rhythmbox
> is not an option without exposing the entire internet to them.

I'm not sure what webkitgtk can or cannot do but, *if* you can hide
everything else, then you could provide any other link that you feel
is necessary, for example, you have the form with submit button from
last.fm and then the setting up account and password reminder be some
links or buttons that you provide that open a browser.

In the end, when everybody gets the new rhythmbox with your patch, we
want it to work better yes, but with the lesser painful changes to us.

For the new user (to rhythmbox or to last.fm) I feel that if you are
trying to integrate a web application with rhythmbox, then it should
seem that way and an embedded widget feels more integrated than
calling a browser.

Regards,

--
Edgar Luna