Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox: Improved Last.fm Plugin - Weekly Report 1

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 06:20 -0500, Edgar Luna wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Jamie Nicol <jamie thenicols net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 22:45 +0200, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> >> about that, please check for the "[Rhythmbox-devel] Updating to the new
> >> last.fm API" thread in the archives of the mailing list. As my first
> >> mail seems to have disappeared before it was sent by my mailer, I wanted
> >> to restate that embedding a web interface in a desktop application for
> >> something like this just doesn't feel right and I would rather stop
> >> using Last.fm plugin altogether that to have to endure the pain of such
> >> integration.
> >>

> > After experimenting with both options, I feel I agree with you. There
> > are pros and cons to both. By embedding the browser there is no chance
> > of the user not seeing the page being opened, which is good. But it
> > leads to an awful mess. The user can then navigate to other pages from
> > within rhythmbox, which just doesn't seem right.
> >
> > So unless anybody else feels this is a mistake, I'm going to make it
> > open in an external web browser. I'll listen to any arguments anyone has
> > about this, and I'm open to persuasion, but currently I feel this is the
> > better option.
> >

> I was thinking about a window with the authentication form and Window
> manager borders only. I don't see how the user could fell bad about
> this, maybe is hard to implement.

I don't think it's possible to embed *just* the authentication form.
We're supposed to send the user to a certain address. The user may or
may not first be redirected to the login page (depending on if they are
logged in already). Then at the address we send them to they simply
click a button to authenticate rhythmbox, after which they are taken to
a confirmation page. All of these pages contain the normal Last.fm
navigation links, so the user would be able to navigate to wherever they
liked. I certainly wouldn't know how to stop this. I don't see opening a
web browser as too much of a nuisance to the user, and it is something
we will only have to do once.

Cheers,

Jamie