Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Problems with m3u playlists on device

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan d14n org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Ryan May <rmay31 gmail com> wrote:
>> 1) Device not recognized as portable audio player.  Fixed by adding
>> the product ID to 10-usb-music-players.fdi.
>
> I think we need to get this added to media-player-info too. What are
> the vendor and product IDs?

Vendor: 0x781
Product: 0x74d0

>> 2) Rhythmbox not creating playlists on device.  This turned out to be
>> a problem with the setting of the portable_audio_player.playlist_path
>> property to "%File". This seemed to make Rhythmbox angry to no end.
>
> What specifically happened?

Problems creating the playlist. The playlist file would never appear,
and there were some error messages in the debug output.  It seemed
like it had problems with the fact that %FILE was the entire playlist
path.

>> 4) Finally, the problem I can't really solve (short of using external
>> shell scripts).  The m3u playlists produced by Rhythmbox don't
>> actually work with my mp3 player.  First, Rhythmbox writes them out as
>> absolute paths, and my player seems to require relative paths, even
>> though the playlist files are located at the root of the device.
>> (Actually, I can't even use this playlist with Totem with the absolute
>> paths.  Relative paths make it work.)  Second, Rhythmbox writes out
>> the files with Unix path separators (/) and the mp3 player needs them
>> to be Windows-style (\).
>
> We currently tell totem-pl-parser to write 'unix format' m3u, but that
> should probably be 'DOS format'. I don't think we really know which
> devices expect unix format and which expect DOS format. Of course,
> from your later message, it appears that there are some problems with
> DOS format too.

Well, with setting M3U_DOS and some fixes to totem-pl-parser and
rhythmbox (see below), I have now been able to make it work.  Once I
set M3U_DOS, totem-pl-parser does not properly convert URI's to dos
paths.  The attached patch fixes it for me, but I'm not sure it's the
correct fix.

> I'm not sure about absolute vs relative paths, but it probably should
> be writing relative paths. We do write the playlist to a temporary
> file, but it's in the same directory as it ends up in, so that should
> be OK.

Yeah, the temporary file isn't the problem.  The problem appears to be
that rhythmbox tries to handle the conversion to a relative path
rather than let totem-pl-parser handle the conversion itself.  The
other attached patch fixes that problem by just passing the raw uri to
totem-pl-parser, and that works for me fine.

Together, the attached patches, along with using M3U_DOS for creating
the playlist (patch not attached) allows rhythmbox to create a
playlist that just works with my mp3 player and can be read back in by
rhythmbox.

Ryan

--
Ryan May