Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] media player sync branch

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian interlinx bc ca> wrote:

> Per the above, this may be a "well, duh!" suggestion (i.e. and already
> the case), but just in case it's not, it should be possible to define a
> playlist to sync with a given device.  That is, sync between a device
> and RB should be available with a subset of the available RB Library not
> necessarily always the entire Library.

This is already implemented. Since I failed to provide a summary of
the current state of the code:

For each media player device, you can select a set of playlists and
podcasts to sync to the device, and there are also options to sync all
music and all podcasts. These settings are remembered per-device,
stored locally (not on the device).

The sync process works by building a set of tracks that should end up
on the device and comparing that with what's on the device to
determine what to delete from the device and what to copy on to it. If
there isn't enough space on the device, it'll complain until you
change your sync settings so they fit. Note that if you have tracks on
the device that aren't in the library, the sync process will delete
them.

>> - support for generic (USB mass storage) players - this shouldn't be
>> hard, as there isn't much device specific code for syncing.
>
> Hrm.  What type of devices are supported then if mass storage devices
> are not?

Currently iPods and MTP devices are supported.