Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Help

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

2010/4/28 Jonathan Matthew <jonathan d14n org>:

> Great!  The current manual is not in very good shape, and while I've
> made a bit of a start at a rewrite (which currently only exists on my
> laptop), I'm not making much progress.
>
> I've made a bit of a start. Some of what I've done would probably fit
> into the outline you've proposed.

If it is not a problem for you relicensing what you have written under
a Creative Commons license, is it possible to have a tarball of what
you did?

I'm going to start working on a git branch hosted on gitorious (so if
we have external people that would like to contribute is easier with
git access), and then when it is ready merge back into GNOME git.

> This is one of the weaknesses of the project. I'm planning to follow
> the GNOME release schedule more closely, but that doesn't always work
> out..

I'll target a September release. This will give us plenty of time for
planning, writing and reviewing.

> Not at present. At any given time I have about 15 feature branches in
> private git repos where I'm working on things I haven't told anyone
> about, so maybe I should just make that information more public?

More public information is always welcome, but we understand that
sometimes writing about the work done usually gets into your way.
Whatever we can have would be much appreciated (blog posts on the
Planet or on GNOME News...).

Within the Doc Team we had an idea about a simple Mallard document
that developers can write in the help/C/ directory, adding a one liner
sentence about the new feature he/she implemented. In this way we will
have an idea of what is new, and we can pretty-format that document to
be used as a "What's New" kind of document to insert into the help
with each new release.

It's just an idea, but if you would like to pioneer it, we are happy
to help you out. :-)

> In any case, I'm not planning any major changes to the basic structure
> of the application, so I think if you were to proceed with the outline
> as it is, there's very little risk that you'd end up with a manual
> that was incorrect or misleading - there just might be some areas it
> didn't cover yet. Once we have a working document structure, I'd like
> to make updating the manual, or at least outlining the changes
> required, part of the development process.

That sound sensible.
I'll try to stick with that outline or with what we have now in the
actual manual.

> If you have any more questions, please feel free to raise them here or
> in the #rhythmbox IRC channel.

Thanks.

Ciao!

--