Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox and wma

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 8:37 AM, giopas<linux giopas eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM, sawrub <sawrub fedoraproject org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I'm not able to make Rhythmbox play wma files,it just hangs and then the
>> system asks m eto force kill the app.can i get any help in getting this
>> to work.
>
> I do not know if it is related,but I have quite the same problem on about
> ten .wma files (wma2, version 8, 44100Hz, 16bit) when I play them on
> Rhythmbox (0.11.4-2). However, in my case, file is played, but the sound is
> chopping and discontinuous. This problem does not occur with vlc, banshee or
> totem.

This usually only happens when crossfading is enabled in rhythmbox.
The GStreamer demuxers and/or decoders for some formats produce
decoded streams with some metadata problems that don't have any effect
when using a simple playbin pipeline (like banshee, totem, or
rhythmbox without crossfading) but mess up the more complex pipeline
used for crossfading. I haven't looked into this in any detail for
.wma files.