Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] python plugin not found

Hi, I've responsed inline.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:27, gsubes <gsubes googlemail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write a rythmbox plugin that registers a global hotkey
> and deletes the currently played file when the hotkey is pressed (to get
> quickly rid of music I want to sort out of my collection).
> I'm new to python programming and this is my first plugin ever.

I can't say I'd ever want to delete anything (i tend to use a global
hotkey to skip songs rather than delete them), but it seems like a
useful simple plugin.

> This is the folder i have put the plugin into:
> /home/<user>/.gnome2/rhythmbox/plugins/DeleteFile/
>
> -- There is a deletefile.rb-plugin:
>
> [RB Plugin]
> Loader=python
> Module=deletefile
<snip>
> When I start rhythmbox, the plugin is shown but when I try to enable it,
> the rhythmbox debug output tells me the following:
>
> (16:21:47) [0x2241040] [rb_python_module_init] rb-python-module.c:420:
> Init of python module
> ImportError: No module named deletefile
>
> (rhythmbox:19790): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Could not load plugin
> deletefile

Here's your problem. In your rb-plugin file, you've listed the plugin
as the module 'deletefile'. However, it is located in the directory
'DeleteFile'! Remember that linux filesystems are case sensitive, you
have to make sure that they match.

> Is there some way to properly debug plugins?
> Maybe you have an idea why the plugin cannot be enabled?

I unfortunately haven't found any way to debug rhythmbox plugins other
than enabling the debug option on rhythmbox and adding a bunch of
debugging print statements. Perhaps someone else knows a better way?

> Best regards,
> subes

Hope that helps.

--