Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Problems with tree DB and libgda

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 09:49:02AM -0500, nixscripter wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Running both pre-compiled and self-compiled versions of Rhythmbox 0.11.2
> on 32-bit Ubuntu, I get random crashes while playing songs, often while
> changing songs. I decided to dump a couple of cores, and found the
> crashes all occurred in the same place:

> #0  0x080c275e in save_entry (db=0x8220020, entry=0x85fd670, ctx=0xb28fd34c)
>    at rhythmdb-tree.c:858
> 858             encoded = xmlEncodeEntitiesReentrant (NULL, BAD_CAST
> entry->type->name);

This looks like bug #465946.  It's been around for quite a while, but no
one has really looked into it yet.

> Not able to follow all the code logic back to where entry->type was set,
> and not knowing enough about the code to insert a hack like setting it
> to ENTRY_TYPE_INVALID if it was zero, I decided to try change databases.
> I tried recompiling with libgda support instead. The result was dozens
> of compiler errors.

The libgda code hasn't even been buildable since rhythmbox 0.8.x (or
earlier; I don't know).  This wasn't unintentional neglect.  The code
simply was not maintained.  It has been removed entirely in more recent
releases.

> Three questions:
>
> 1. Is my crash a known bug?

probably

> 2. Can I fix it with a simple hack (like ENTYR_TYPE_INVALID)?

unlikely

> 3. Is libgda even supported?

no.