Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Pause button

(think I buggered up addresses on my reply, here's attempting to get
convo back on rb-devel)

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 6:02 PM, James Hartland
<james scriptmonster co uk> wrote:
> I respect that sometimes you have to be individual and go against the
> grain in order to improve things, but every other app on the planet on
> every OS has a Play button that turns into a Pause button.

Including Totem? If so, sounds like a bug report should be filed
against Totem stating that it violates the HIG.

> Sometimes
> you've just got to go with what users expect, rather than what you think
> might be better.

As a user, I expect GNOME applications to behave sensibly. If I wanted
them to behave like other applications, I would use those other
applications. I have no objection to playing follow-the-leader when
there's no particular reason to keep current behavior (though others
sometimes do), but when the HIG explicitly states that play/pause
buttons should not be merged that is a strong justification for not
merging them.

> The fact that the suggestion was one of the highest
> voted suggestions on Brainstorm so far to me suggests that I am not
> alone in thinking this is the wrong way to be doing it.

The suggestion is currently on page 10 of the suggestion list, behind
such ideas as porting OpenOffice to GTK+ and adding built-in support
for Subversion in Nautilus.

> If this really is something that goes against the whole Gnome thinking
> then could you not offer this as an option somewhere... "show pause icon
> during playback - yes/no". Then people could turn it on if they really
> wanted but by default you have it the "gnome way".

Rhythmbox was changed to remove the merged play/pause button in 0.9.3,
if I remember correctly. Presumably the developers would have added
such a configuration option if they had been interested in it.