Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] gio port

Are there any *obvious* differences that we should be seeing after applying this patch? Should we run in --debug mode just for fun and see what turns up?

John Daiker

Jonathan Matthew wrote:
Hi,

I've just committed a moderately sized patch that replaces gnome-vfs
with GIO in Rhythmbox:

This drops support for various old versions of various dependencies
(libsoup 2.2, howl, ..) and means we require glib 2.16 and gstreamer
0.10.12; if you want to build rhythmbox from svn on a distribution more
than six months old, you're sadly out of luck.

Now the good news: lots of code is a bit more sensible, file and volume
monitoring works better, podcast downloads can be resumed now, and with
my confirmation bias goggles firmly in place, things seem to be a bit
faster too.

Not everything has been thoroughly tested, though.  There's some
preliminary support for mounting drives and network shares as required.
I haven't really tested network shares (sftp or smb) at all.  The basics
all work, as far as I can tell.

If you're going to test this and help us track down the bugs that have
no doubt been introduced, please take a backup of your database
(~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml) first - older versions will not read
database files written by gio-enabled rhythmboxes.

enjoy,
-jonathan