Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Calling an executable for each song in rb library

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Jonathan Matthew
<notverysmart gmail com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:29:06AM -0400, Charlotte Curtis wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Jonathan Matthew
>> <notverysmart gmail com> wrote:
>> > Both the child watch and the timeout will only work when the GLib main
>> > loop is running.
>> Okay, that's what I (eventually) figured out.  Does it present a
>> problem for my plugin to have its own main loop (as in the email I
>> sent a few minutes before yours)?
>
> Recursive/nested mainloops make me very nervous.  They bring up a
> variety of horrible locking concerns and make it harder to understand
> what's going on.  I think it'd be best to avoid doing this, but
> obviously if nothing else works, then I guess you'll have to.

That's basically what my (Summer of Code) mentor said.  There's got to
be another way of doing it, and I don't want to make anyone nervous.

> Yeah, unfortunately this stuff does get complicated.  I'd much rather
> deal with the complexity up front (and I'm happy to help you get this
> working), though, than track down an occasional deadlock next year.

I'll get cracking on it, thanks for the offer of help.  I would also
rather do things right the first time.

Charlotte