Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Transcoding defaults

On 10/10/07, Andrew Conkling <andrew conkling gmail com> wrote:
> On 10/9/07, Sven Arvidsson <sa whiz se> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 20:45 -0400, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> > > I just noticed that Rhythmbox has been transcoding my FLAC music to my
> > > Cowon IAudio in OGG Vorbis format. I'm not sure how (other than that I
> > > just upgraded to Ubuntu Gutsy, but I'd been using the latest Rhythmbox
> > > for a while).
> >
> > You should be able to override this with an .is_audio_player file.
> >
> > See
> http://banshee-project.org/Guide/DAPs/MassStorageDevices
> for the
> > details.
>
> That's good info, I suppose, but my player is recognized fine by Rhythmbox
> and Banshee and supports FLACs. So I'm not sure where transcoding-as-default
> comes into play. Is this a bug in Rhythmbox or HAL?

This is probably a bug in rhythmbox. HAL reports "audio/flac" as a
supported type, but we probably recognise FLAC files as "audio/x-flac"
by the looks of things (output from "gst-typefind-0.10 file.flac"
would confirm this). If this is the case, we'll need to translate
between the two in the transcoding code somewhere.