Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Plugin Documentation

Python is integrated in RB as a set of bindings. RB objects (GObject) are exported directly as Python objects.
One of the best ways to discover the Python bindings is to enable the Python Console Plugin and use it to get object information. You should use shell.__doc__ (or any other object, just use object.__doc__) and dir(shell) (again you can use any object) to get information about available objects.
And the best place to start is at existing plugins. There are a bunch of Python plugins in /usr/share/lib/rhythmbox/plugins (or download the RB source code, which will give you code to C plugins as well).
And you should read that link before you even begin to write your plugin, it'll be much easier.
With a small knowledge of scripts (programming knowledge is crucial) you can get a working plugin in no time.

Good luck

On Nov 30, 2007 7:05 PM, Richi Plana < richip richip dhs org> wrote:
On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 13:02 -0500, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007 9:16 AM, Richi Plana <richip richip dhs org> wrote:
>         1) If there's any documentation on plugin writing. I'm
>         interested in
>         knowing the API and what functionality is exported, plugged in
>         to and
>         overridden.
>
> I just came across this the other day, think it's a relatively new (or
> newly longer) document:
> http://live.gnome.org/RhythmboxPlugins/WritingGuide. It's still not
> complete, but certainly a lot more awesome than when I was looking
> about a year ago.

That is perfect! And yes, I'll be working in Python.

> As far as workflow, I got nuthin' unfortunately, but I'm actually
> rather piqued after scanning that Writing Guide again. I've no
> shortage of small ideas. :)

Too bad. Any of the devs have a suggestion for a coding / debugging
environment?

BTW ... how does the Python plugin communicate with RB? shared mem?
network socket? pipe? I/O stream?
--

Richi Plana