Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox memory usage

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 13:59 -0500, Peter Colijn wrote:
> Memory usage is indeed an important statistic to track .However, you
> must be careful when measuring it; top is notoriously bad. The reason
> top does not give you a good idea of memory usage is because it
> double-counts memory used by shared libraries.

VIRT is particularly useless for measuring "memory usage", because it
represents the entire address space of the process, which is much larger
than the amount of stuff we have in memory (even with shared libraries).

> BTW, what are some other good utilities for gauging memory usage?

Valgrind has several useful tools: memcheck for finding leaks, massif
for heap profiling (finding out what is taking x% of the memory), etc.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"We had ties that could not be broken, except by the passing of time.
Like a rock. A broken time rock. And you're very special to me, my