Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox memory usage

Hi,

Memory usage is indeed an important statistic to track .However, you
must be careful when measuring it; top is notoriously bad. The reason
top does not give you a good idea of memory usage is because it
double-counts memory used by shared libraries.

So in your example, memory used by gtk is included in both the figure
for rhythmbox and the figure for epiphany, even though gtk is only in
memory once.

The other thing to note is that the RSS (resident set size) is really
the most important statistic, since it is what is actually in RAM. So
here a 20M RSS that includes shared libraries really isn't that bad.
Of course, making it better is awlays nice, but it is a good idea to
understand the figures reported by top.

BTW, what are some other good utilities for gauging memory usage?

Have fun,

Peter