Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Upcoming 0.9.5 release

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:23:53PM -0400, John Russell wrote:
> Might I ask why the --next --previous --play-pause etc. arguments were
> removed?  I always found them very useful.

They were removed when the bonobo remote control interface was removed.
I'll shortly (hopefully before 0.9.5, come to think of it) be adding a
dbus client program providing these arguments and a few more.  See bug
340863.

You can also do various slightly ugly things like this:
$ dbus-send --session --dest=org.gnome.Rhythmbox \
/org/gnome/Rhythmbox/Player org.gnome.Rhythmbox.Player.playPause \
boolean:false

use dbus-viewer to see the exposed methods and their arguments.