Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Multi User Rhythmbox

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 10:08:45AM -0500, David Berg wrote:
> On our family computer I often start a play list then leave the room
> with it running which tends to really bother my wife since she can't
> then skip a particular song, change the playlist or put in a movie for
> the kids.
>
> I was hoping that I could remidy the situation by creating a user
> music that would run rhythmbox.  The idea being that we could both
> have access to processes owned by the this user and control each
> other's playlists.  This would work if I give the music user its own
> session but I would much rather beable to control it from within my
> session.  Unfortunately,  if I try to launch a second instance of
> rhythmbox then the second instance immediately closes unexpectedly.
> Is there a way to work around this?  If not, how hard would it be to
> impliment?  I'd be willing to tweak the code if its not to hard and
> someone points me in the right direction.

It's not really clear how your setup works or why running rhythmbox as
a different user would help.  I'm not sure what the actual problem is.

Armed with my lack of knowledge of your setup, I'm going to suggest
running rhythmbox in a stripped down session for some user inside a vnc
server, so your other users can connect to that to control it.  I'm not
sure of the best way of setting this up, or which of the 37 different
vnc servers is best to use.