Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Installation and plugins comments.

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 14:31 -0500, Joel Duggan wrote:
> Problem 2:
> I then started the process of download, run 'rpm -i --test blah.rpm'
> to weed out all the deps.
> Here is list of the deps that I had to weed my way through to install rhythmbox:
>
> cairo-1.0.2-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> dbus-glib-0.50-3.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> glib2-2.8.5-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> glitz-0.4.3-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> gstreamer-0.8.11-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> gstreamer-plugins-0.8.11-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> gstreamer-tools-0.8.11-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> gtk2-2.8.7-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> iso-codes-0.46-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> libgpod-0.3.0-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> libnotify-0.3.2-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> libpixman-0.1.5-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> libsexy-0.1.6-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> libsoup-2.2.7-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> libwnck-2.12.3-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> nautilus-cd-burner-2.12.3-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> notification-daemon-0.3.3-2.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> pango-1.10.3-1.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm

You shouldn't have to install all of those, unless it's an artifact of
their packaging. The only /required/ dependencies are the standard gnome
2.10 desktop libraries, and totem-plparser 1.1.5 (from 2.11). Everything
else should be optional, barring a bug.

> Problem 4:
 <snip>
> dbus-devel-0.50-3.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> dbus-python-0.50-3.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> dbus-x11-0.50-3.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm
> holddbus-0.50-3.1.fc4.nr.i386.rpm

If you were build without dbus support, these definitely shouldn't be
required. In fact, the only ones that should be required is dbus-devel
(and dbus-glib-devel if it's separate), and it shouldn't enable dbus
support without them. Please file a bug if RB doesn't work without the
dbus packages, when dbus support isn't enabled.

> Problem 5:
 <snip>
> Is Rhythmbox becoming too big?
> Is it trying to do too much?
> Why is there so many extra features that are part of the baseline?
> How many of those packages are only there to support extraneous features?

Rhythmbox does contain several things that probably shouldn't be in RB's
base, but we don't support plugins yet. As mentioned elsewhere in this
email, they aren't compulsory and you can compile without them.

> This brings me to this comment:
> A chunk of the featuers in RB should be stripped out and implemented
> as plugins when they become available.
> Namely, DAAP playback support, DAAP sharing support, iPods, Radio,
> Podcasts, AudioScrobbler, CD Ripping and CD creation.

Several of those would be better as plugins, and will be converted once
plugin support lands in cvs. However those ones are already optional,
and turning them into plugins only affects binary packages, not when
you're compiling from source. So a rhythmbox-daap plugin package would
depend on Avahi/Howl instead of the Rhythmbox package.

Of the things you listed, only Podcasts, Radio and CD creation are
compulsory. Podcast support doesn't require anything above what RB's
core uses. Radio support only requires totem-plparser, which as
discussed several times before gets used for other things (so we're not
dropping it). CD creation requires libnautilusburn, which also gets used
for cd playback.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"It's times like this I wish I'd listened to my Mother." "Why, what did
she say?" "I don't know, I didn't listen."