[Rhythmbox-devel] Patches for discussion

G'day everyone,

There are a couple of patches in bugzilla that need a bit of discussion
before we commit them to cvs. Some are to do with UI design and some are
debatable whether we want them at all.

Restore visibility on startup
(bug 127320)

Currently when Rhythmbox starts up it always starts visible. This bug is
asking that RB remembers whether it was visible, and start in the tray
if it was like that when the user quit last time.

The patch implements this, but the question is do we want to do it? My
main concern is that people may minimise RB to the tray and log off;
when they start up and load RB again, they may wonder why it isn't
showing up.

Plugin Manager UI
(from bug 330523)

The base plugin framework (based on gedit and Epiphany) is mostly done,
and the biggest remaining piece is the plugin manager UI. The current
version of the patch adds a Edit->Plugins menu item, which brings up a
list of plugins, with checkboxes, an About button and a Configure button
(like Gedit).

Should we use that, or change to something like Banshee and amaroK,
which has the list of the left, and the configuration page on the right?

While Banshee's probably looks a bit nicer, it has a downside: it
requires loading all the plugins into memory, even when they are
disabled, and the gedit-style one doesn't.

This has a much bigger effect with non-C plugins. If you have *any*
Python plugin installed, it will force the Python runtime to be loaded,
even if you have the plugins disabled. This would be even worse if we
added support for more plugin language bindings.

Library Location selection UI
(from bug 328414)

Currently we are using a file selection drop-menu to choose the library
location in the preferences. This has a number of issues, both those
outlined on the bug and others, which mean we probably need to change.

The patch on the bug turns it into a text entry with the path/uri, and a
"browse" button (like in the druid). The two questions are:
a) what do people think of that, or is there a nicer UI that works?
b) would adding a "additional library locations" button be useful or
confusing>

If anyone has any comments on these (or others), please let us know.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pacman affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and