Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] lastfm:// protocol support

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 11:43 +0300, Eetu Huisman wrote:
> While browsing through the archives I found a couple of messages about
> adding support for playing last.fm stations in Rhythmbox. Has anyone
> started working on this? I'd be willing to to take part in the
> development of this feature, but my C skills are poor at best.
>
> I found a perl script which does "reverse engineer" the lastfm-protocol
> at http://www.last.fm/forum/21714/_/42540. I guess it might be useful,
> though I haven't had time to go through it myself just yet.

Another program to look at would be Last Exit,
http://www.o-hand.com/~iain/last-exit/.

Playing last.fm streams shouldn't be too hard, as it is mostly the same
as normal streaming audio. From what I recall, the two main differences
are doing some login stuff to get the stream URL, and that it sends a
"SYNC" signal in band to indicate that updated stream info (track title
an artist) is available.

> Has anyone thought about the UI? Should there be "love" and "ban" buttons?

That would make sense to me, as they are done via http as with login.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"If my son wants to be a pimp when he grows up, that's fine with me. I
hope he's a good one and enjoys it and doesn't get caught. I'll support