[Rhythmbox-devel] cd playback

hi all,
i am having what would appear to be a permissions problem playing back cds
in rhythmbox. it always works if i start rhythmbox as root, but only once
in a blue moon it will work for me as a normal user. this has me
thoroughly stumped, because it would seem like i have everything set up
correctly (my user is a member of the cdrom and plugdev groups, and also
has the 'enable access to external storage devices automatically' option
set in the gnome user/group administration tool.

a further point of interest is that when things are not working ok,
running rhythmbox with the -d option and inserting a cd, the only
removable media rb_removable_media_manager_mount_volume will detect is
/dev/shm. when things are working ok, it will also find the cdrom.

i would really appreciate some suggestions - this is starting to drive me
nuts!

thanks in advance,
ian