Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Identify songs by Id, not by File path

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 17:44 +0900, pclouds wrote:
> On 9/13/05, Julien Olivier <julo altern org> wrote:
> > >
> > > You're screwed? :)
> Well, probably :D Another case is when i want to move songs and my X
> not working for some reasons so that i can't start up rhythmbox
> (unless you intend to make a rhythmbox daemon).

One possible way, is to check the metadata against existing songs in the
library. If one track has the same filesize, duration and tags (title,
artist, album, etc) as another which is hidden because it isn't present,
then it is probably the same one. This would be reasonably quick,
because the db can just go down the genre->artist->album hierarchy, and
then check the rest of the metadata.

Trying to match tracks that have changed tags would require audio
fingerprinting (e.g. musicbrainz) and would be *much* slower.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
You're trying to trick me into being intelligent. It won't work.
    -- dpm in the monastry