Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] IPC in Rhythmbox 0.9.0

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 01:15:31PM -0500, Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:49:25PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 00:15 -0500, Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:
> > > I'm currently working on getting Rhythmbox Applet [0] to play nicely
> > > with Rhythmbox 0.9.0.  I've found that 0.9.0 make binary-incompatible
> > > changes to the Bonobo interface, so an applet compiled against 0.8.8
> > > won't work properly with 0.9.0, and vice versa.  Ideally, I'd like to
> > > have the applet support both versions, which means coding an interface
> > > targeted at the 0.9.x series.
> >
> > That's a bug really; the Bonobo interface should have been extended in a
> > compatible way, either by creating a new interface that extends the old
> > one.  Patches to fix that accepted =)
>
> I don't think it would be too difficult to add the necessary backwards
> compatibility hooks to the Bonobo interface, so I'll start with that.
> Then at least anything using the Bonobo interface won't break when
> Rhythmbox gets upgrated.
>
> Once I figure out exactly how the ABI broke I'll file a bug, then follow
> up with whatever patch I come up with.  Then at the very least Rhythmbox
> 0.9.1 should "just work" with my existing applet code.

I think it was the addition of a couple of members to the SongInfo
struct that broke it.  I don't think anything important was added, and
since the bonobo interface is hopefully going away soon, reverting that
change doesn't sound like a bad idea.

On closer inspection, it seems I also changed the rating type from long
to double to avoid rounding errors.  That might be slightly more
difficult to revert, but still not too hard.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  It seemed like a good idea at the time..

-jonathan