Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] last.fm integration

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 20:32 -0700, Alex Revo wrote:
> I actually worked on this a couple months ago.
>
> The code works (as far as I remember), but it's a quick and dirty
> hack. Maybe someone will find it useful as a starting off point.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have access to my Linux machine at the moment,
> but here's an old arch branch with integrated Audioscrobbler/last.fm
> support:
>
> tla register-archive http://members.cox.net/alexrevo/arch
> tla get xiphoidappendix gmail com--2005/rhythmbox--main--0.9
>
> Requires libcurl.
> Run ./autogen.sh --enable-audioscrobbler
> Set username and password in preferences dialog

It works perfectly for me, I've put up a patch[0] and tarball[1] which
are against cvs. I've done a bit of trivial cleanup, like moving some
implementation details from the header file to the C file, and
re-ordering some of the C file.

Some things that are probably worth doing:

* moving the preferences checkbox above the entry field
* use the same md5 code that DAAP does
* make it use gnome-vfs, rather than standard C file handling
* not spew heaps of stuff onto standard output

> A couple other ideas v. last.fm: integration into playlists ("my
> recommendations", "most popular songs by $artist", weekly charts...),
> last.fm radio client, etc.

I've only had a quick look at these on the webpages, but they look
interesting. Hopefully someone can think up some good ways to fit this
into Rhythmbox.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston

[0] http://www.ids.org.au/~jrl/rhythmbox/rb-scrobbler.patch
[1] http://www.ids.org.au/~jrl/rhythmbox/rb-scrobbler.tar.bz2

--
"Hmmm... Perhaps Magic just consists of hacking the prayer firewall.
How many Hail Marys do we need for a buffer overflow attack?"