Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Bugzilla Roundup #1 (Fuzzy Matching and TrayIcons)

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 15:45 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Apart from the funky overblown ideas of splitting RB into a front-end
> and a backend (how do you communicate between the 2? What happens when
> you break your soft ABI? More problems than it's worth IMO), the
> discussion is mainly around the music as a service.

I don't think an actual backend-UI split wouldn't really be worth it,
because the amount of resources used by the UI is fairly negligable
compared to GStreamer when playing and RhythmDB.

Enhancing the DBus interface, with support for queries and the like
would be very useful though. Effectively it would mean that you can
create an alternate UI, by asking Rhythmbox to start with it's window
hidden and controlling it via DBus. It wouldn't be an actual split into
front-end and back-end, but from the users point of view it would be
equivalent.

> What I would do:
> - get rid of the tray icon, it clashes with 3rd-party applications like
> the RB applet (I personally only use it to bring up the RB window, and
> the nice notification telling me the window has changed).

We should probably send the notification messages over dbus, so that
things like the applet, or a "rhythmbox tray icon program" can display
them.

It should be relatively easy to write "rhythmbox-tray", that adds a tray
icon, controls Rhythmbox via dbus, and displays the notifications.

> - make RB not close (still running in the background) but hide the
> window when the close button is pressed. Launching RB again (most people
> would have it in their panel or somesuch) will just show the window in
> the existing instance again.

Which still gets us back to the debate about whether the close button
should quit Rhythmbox or not. Going either way makes a large group of
people unhappy, and making it a preference would be complete crack.

If we wrote the "rhythmbox-tray" program, perhaps RB should hide the
window if there are dbus/bonobo client connected, and quit if there are
not (or all of them disconnect).

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"There are some benefits to high blood pressure", Bob mused as another
mosquito exploded. -- Bulwer-Lytton contest entry, author unknown.