Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] DAAP 64bit patch

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 19:54 +0200, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 02:33 +1100, James Livingston wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 16:53 +0200, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
> > >
> > > rb_daap_structure_add (mlit, RB_DAAP_CC_MIID,
> > >           (gint32) GPOINTER_TO_INT(source));
> >
> > I think this came up a while ago, but that won't work because pointers
> > can be larger than ints - so it may corrupt the pointer. From the glib
> > docs, you can use GPOINTER_TO_INT and GINT_TO_POINTER to store an
> > integer in a pointer, but you CANNOT store a pointer in an integer.
>
> Indeed, that is what I said when I mentioned in my mail that the real
> fix should be completely different.
> This only fixes compilation: the entire mechanism of passing pointers
> to internal RB data-structures is broken and needs to be fixed in
> another way.

Hell yeah its some major crack, probably some I was on when I wrote it.
Between life and a job, I don't have the time to do the RB hacking i
want.  The best fix for this is to create a ghashtable that maps ids
(that we send out in the daap structure) to play sources.  E-Z shit to
do, just don't have the time.  I'll try this weekend, but if not,
someone please do it :-D

And while you're at it, fix all the other bugs I've been meaning to.

-Charlie