Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Watched Directories

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 21:13 +1100, James Livingston wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 01:35 +1100, James Livingston wrote:
> > Attached is a small patch which lets Rhythmbox monitor directories for
> > new tracks. However there are several caveats:
> >
> > * There is no UI for it yet. Set the gconf
> > key /apps/rhythmbox/library_locations to be a list of strings, which are
> > the URIs of the director(y/ies) you want to watch. NOTE: these are uris
> > with trailing slashes, not path names - e.g. "file:///media/music/" not
> > "/media/music".
>
> I've added some UI now, you can select a watched directory from the
> Library pane of the preferences.
>
> Currently you can only select one directory in the prefs, because a) I'm
> not sure how many people will want to watch multiple directories, and b)
> the UI for handling an arbitrary number would be _much_ more
> complicated. You can still enter multiple directories with gconf-editor,
> and the UI could be added if people think it would be an improvement.
>

> The format of the gconf key has also been relaxed, so that the "file://"
> prefix (for local files) and trailing slash are not required.

IMO, having the UI only support one "Music" directory would be enough.

> > * Rhythmbox will not monitor tracks in the library for changes, if they
> > are not in a watched directory. This is currently half-broken anyway
> > (due to bug 316910), and should be easy enough to fix.
>
> I've fix this, so that it will monitor tracks that aren't in a watch
> directory. It actually monitors slightly too much, but correcting that
> would add significant complexity to the code and I'm not sure it's worth
> it. In particular, if you have /foo/bar in the library (but /foo/ isn't
> watched) it still monitors /foo/ - which means that it will notice (and
> add) any new files or directories in /foo/.

So if you watch ~/Music, it will monitor ~/ ? Sounds like a problem.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
"The Derby players have seen more of his balls than the one they're
meant to be playing with" - Brian Clough, on a streaker who once
interrupted a Derby County-Manchester United match.