Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Automatic Playlist UI work

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:28:30AM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Le mercredi 20 avril 2005 ?? 13:47 +1000, James Livingston a ??crit :
>
> > As Christophe said Rhythmbox doesn't do too well with bitrates at the
> > moment; vorbis(.ogg) and other VBR formats all report 0, which means
> > you'd probably have to add an exception to the criteria (unless you have
> > an entirely CBR-mp3 format music library)
> >

> Fwiw, this shouldn't be too difficult to fix (at least for mp3), it's on
> my list of things to do, but haven't gotten to do it yet.

Bug 302625 includes a patch to gst-plugins to get bitrate reporting for
mp3 files without xing headers working.  Everything else seems to work.
The bitrates reported aren't exact (you get the nominal bitrate for VBR
ogg vorbis files, for instance), but I don't see the point in doing a
full scan to get the average bitrate for the whole stream.

The only thing I'd conceivably have a problem with is VBR mp3 files with
no xing header, where the reported bitrate is just the rate of the first
frame.  I've only got a couple of files like this, and .. well, the
results seem pretty reasonable, and the reported song lengths are much
better than they used to be.

-jonathan