Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox memory patch, and a (long) discussion

On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 13:21 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 02:06 +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> > One idea that I had earlier today was that is RB was not active
> > (minimised to the tray) we don't really need to keep all the queries
> > active, we can destroy most of them. The only one we need is the one we
> > are playing from, and we could even get rid of that if playback is
> > stopped.
>
> Makes sense with the caveat that to the user it could be kind of
> annoying if they switch back to their music and see their song list
> visibly refilling.

One additional point that I just thought of:

When they switch back out of minimised mode, we can set the selected
source to be the one that is playing (which makes sense anyway) - that
query is still going to be in memory. As long as we regenerate the
queries before the user changes to viewing a different source, it
shouldn't be noticeable.

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be
very selective about who its friends are. -- Kyle Hearn in asr.