Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Structure in genres

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 00:45 +0100, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 13:11 -0700, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> > Shaun McCance and I hav been talking about this.  It's too limiting to
> > use the id3v2 tags.  What I would like to see is being able to add user
> > generated metadata.  I'm thinking something similar to how f-spot adds
> > metadata to pictures.  This way you can slice your music collection in
> > any way you like.
> >
> > Granted it can't be put into the id3v2 format but I don't think thats
> > particularly important when managing your personal collection because
> > how you categorize music is unique to you.
>
> Well that implies being able to classify your music within RB and I'm
> sure that RB 0.8 does not support music 'management' [i.e. tag updates],
> is this changed in CVS?
>
> Also, doesn't MusicBrainz account for this?  Wouldn't it be wise and
> productive to cooperate with the MusicBrainz way of handling such tags?

I couple of us were having a chat about this on IRC the other day, and
this is my take on the concept:

"Personal tags" are just that, personal. They aren't the kind of thing
that would be stored in MusicBrainz, and probably wouldn't even be
written back into the file - just stored in the database.

As with f-spot's tags, they aren't name-value pairs (like traditional
music metadata), but a set of values that each track can have, or not
have.

As an example, I currently have a playlist called "Relaxing", which
contains songs that I have playing as background while reading or
something. Instead of creating a playlist and adding songs to it, I
could add the personal tag "relaxing" to all of the songs.

I could create a automatic playlist with the criteria 'has personal tag
"relaxing"' (or have the automatically created for all personal tags).
Also we have another part to the browser for personal tags, in addition
to genre, artist and album.

Currently (as I see it) manual playlists have two uses: playing songs in
a certain order, and grouping songs that you have no other way to
classify. "Personal tags" would take over for the second case, but we'd
keep manual playlists for the former.

There are enhancement bug(s) filed which request the ability to have
"Is/Isn't in playlist X" as criteria for automatic playlists. With this
they would become fairly trivial - create a playlist with two criteria,
one for each "personal tag".

That's my 5c (we don't have 2c coins in Australia) on the topic -
hopefully everyone else will have some ideas about whether this is a
good or bad concept.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"Dealing with your sanity is a job for close-quarters weaponry."
    -- AdB in the monastry