Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] iTunes Music Sharing

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 02:13 -0400, Charles Schmidt wrote:

> My first attempt (see uri above) involved writing a GnomeVFS module for
> daap:// uris.  The module is written, and I had code interfacing it with
> Rhythmbox.  Unfortuantly, the RB code has been lost.  Last October, and
> even since then
> (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2005-June/msg00101.html)
> there has been discussion that the virtual file system approach isn't
> the way to go.

Yeah, while vfs modules are kind of cool for testing in that you get a
GUI for free in Nautilus, that GUI isn't going to be useful to typical
users.  Better to write applications.

> So, this time, I've written it directly in to Rhythmbox.  I have
> browsing other DAAP shares written up to the point of listening to music
> (it will find shares and get a list of their songs).

Neat.

> The gnomevfs source element does not provide any functionality for
> additional http headers

Yeah.  You could probably hack it by registering vfs callbacks directly,
but...ugh :)

> and if I recall correctly, it caches http
> connections.  So, I'm stuck.

Hm, I didn't think so, but maybe.

> 3. Modify the httpclientsrc implementation in bugzilla to have settable
> properties for extra headers.  uris would be handed to RBPlayer in the
> form of daap://.  RBPlayer would fudge them into http:// uris, force
> playbin to use the new httpclientsrc, and add the extra headers to it.

This sounds fairly reasonable.  Note I think you could use
httpclientsrc ! decodebin instead of playbin.

> Number 3 is probably the "best" solution:
> 	It solves multiple problems. Namely: this one and adds a non-gnomevfs
> http:// handler for GStreamer.   However, I believe it is the most
> challenging, and does end up with some "hackish" code inside RBPlayer.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, with the exception that Bastien
has been making noises about switching to the Totem video widget.