Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] feedback

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 02:09:53AM +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 17:17 +0200, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:
> > On 30/06/05, James Livingston <jrl ids org au> wrote:
> > > What exactly do you mean by "song-scroller"?
> >
> > Heh, sorry for being unclear. I meant the ... um....
> > horizontal-scrollbar-thing that lets you search forwards or backwards
> > within a single song (to the left of the volume-icon in the upper
> > right).  Rhythmbox is not alone in updating while holding the
> > mouse-button, it's something that's annoyed me with most any audio
> > (and video) player apart from Winamp and XMMS.  An option to change it
> > would be very nice...
>
> Ah right - I don't tend to use it much, so I didn't think of that. After
> playing around with it for a bit I can see what you mean - if you want
> to go to a particular place in the song, having it seek while you are
> dragging it is annoying. On the other hand, if you want to go to a part
> of the song but aren't sure exactly where it is, having it seek while
> you are dragging will help you find it. I'm not sure about which way is
> better.

I've seen a short demo of GStreamer 0.9 on FOSDEM/GUADEC with its new
pre-roll support.  The demo consisted of a video clip being played (with
music) with a similar scroller as Rhythmbox has.  Wim Taymans was able
to drag it back and forth, even in a very fast way, and the video &
sound kept following it really naturally and seemingly real-time.

I would say, wait a bit until gst0.9 is here and reassess if this
scroller still works problematic?

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | email: paul luon net
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | JID: paul luon net