Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox performance

On 12/21/05, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan kaolin hn org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:46:55PM +0900, pclouds wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm using rhythmbox cvs with 18gb music (3200 songs). When i choose
> > another Artist, then All artist, rhythmbox freeze for a while (several
> > seconds) with 100% CPU. It used to run well previously. I attached
> > sysprof profile in case you're interested in.
>
> How recently have you done a cvs update?  Until a couple of days ago,
> the library was re-running the query used to display all the songs.
> Changing from having a selected artist to selecting 'all' is now
> instantaenous for me, with a library of over 10000 songs.

The latest entry from ChangeLog:

2005-12-15  William Jon McCann  <mccann jhu edu>

        * shell/rb-shell.c (rb_shell_sync_fullscreen)
        (rb_shell_view_fullscreen_changed_cb): Fix sense of fullscreen gconf
        key.

        Patch from Jonathan Matthew <jonathan kaolin hn org>
        Fixes #324157

(I wish we would have used subversion so that i only need to give a
number instead of this :( )
I'll update source code and try again.

> > BTW, have you experience this problem: scrolling playlist using mouse
> > wheel become more slower. If i click on another artist, then back to
> > All artist, then scrolling is fast again. Don't know it's rhythmbox
> > problem or gtk problem though (or is it a feature?)
>
> What do you mean by 'slower'?  It takes longer to display the entries
> that have scrolled into view, or the view doesn't move as quickly?
The velocity was decreased. It used to scroll several lines when I "do
a mouse wheel", now it only scroll half a line.

> Does it gradually get slower over time, or does it just suddenly become
> slow?
No, sometimes it gets slower, then when i choose some other artists
and choose back, it fast again.
--
Bi Cá Lao