Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Toolbars

Il giorno mer, 07/12/2005 alle 11.16 +0000, Gunnar Steinn Magnússon ha
scritto:
> On 12/7/05, James Livingston <jrl ids org au> wrote:
>
> > I guess it's a question of whether people mute RB or change it's volume
> > more often. The reason RB has it's own volume control is so that you can
> > have your music quieter than other program's sound.
> >
> > Currently we're using Totem's volume control, but if people think muting
> > is more important, we could switch to using Goobox's
>
> Isn't a mute button a reduntant feature in a music player? If I want
> to mute I just pause it. I can understand mute buttons in other
> programs where sound isn't the main objective but for a music player
> it's pretty much all it does.

Sorry, I forgot to say that this suggested change is to keep role and
behavior of toolbar buttons. A (simple) toolbar button should run an
action (for example Open, Save, or Cut).

IMHO open a floating slider clicking on a toolbar button is a really bad
idea.

So, as a compromise, I suggested the ToolItemButton. This widget
provides an arrow button to expand something: so this arrow could be
used to open the volume slider. Of course the ToolItemButton provides a
simple toolbar button inside it. The "mute" action was just an idea. A
wrong idea, because we should change to action to "unmute" when the
audio is muted.

Maybe a more useful (well, at least rational) behavior could be:
      * use the toolbutton arrow to open the volume slider
      * use the toolbutton button to "normalize" (set volume to 50%) the
        volume