Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Patches for iTunes music share browsing

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 14:10 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 05:48 -0400, Charles Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The attached patches are those I've developed to get browsing of iTunes
> > music shares working in Rhythmbox.
>
> Cool!
>
> > shell/rb-shell.c/h:
> > * In rb_shell_construct, there is now a check for the validity of the
> > sources returned from the known_sources function array.  This is the
> > simplest place to insert a function like rb_daap_sources_init() which
> > sets up monitoring for daap sources to add to the source list later.
>
> Ah...hm.  Maybe we should have a more generic "Plugin" concept, and a
> plugin can create sources.  Does that make sense to you?

Makes sense to me.  Perhaps we could gather ideas for what Plugins
should/could do, and where they would need to hook in.  Obviously an
init & shutdown that could install sources or what not.  What else?

> > * Sources can now be disconnected.  There changes to provide a UI hook
> > for disconnecting sources.
>
> Hm...disconnecting is different from removing?

I suppose only in the semantic sense.  Disconnecting, to me, seems to
indicate that it could reconnect and return as it was.  If you remove
something, its gone forever.

> > Changes in daap.diff
>
> I'll take a look at this next; let's try to get the core changes in this
> week first.
>
> Looking through the core diff:
>
> > +       { "SourceDisconnect", GTK_STOCK_DISCONNECT, N_("_Disconnect"),
> > NULL,
> > +         N_("Disconnect from selected source"),
> > +         G_CALLBACK (rb_shell_cmd_source_disconnect) },
>
> Can you explain what this is for?  Why do you need to disconnect from
> shares?

iTunes itself has a limit of 5 connections at a time/per day (can't
recall off hand).  So, to "play nice" it seems that being able to
disconnect when you're not using the source would be needed (not that
you necessarily /would/, but so that you could).  The disconnect command
could be extended to the ipod source as well, telling the ipod source to
save changes, unmount & eject.

> > +       rb_source_activate(shell->priv->selected_source);
>
> Don't forget the space before parens :)
>
> > +       SourcePath *sp = g_new0(SourcePath,1);
>
> Could probably just stack allocate this; not a big deal though.

Indeed.

I have several more 'core' type changes that I've developed as far as
the sharing RB's music goes.  Would you just as soon I save those for a
2nd round of patching, or send those along here shortly?

-charlie