Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Automatically adding new files to library

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 02:17:24PM -0400, Damian Christey wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I'm running rhythmbox-0.9-merge-patch-22 at home.  I recall reading on
> this list that the 0.9 branch would rescan the music folders on each
> startup and periodically while it was running and add new files to the
> library.  As far as I can tell, this isn't the case, and I can't find
> the thread.

Rhythmbox uses gnome VFS file monitoring to check for changes to
directories that contain files in the library.  Or something.
So it'll use FAM or gamin (whichever you have installed) to update the
library when you create, modify, or delete files in those directories.

So (to answer a separate question), if you have gamin installed with inotify
enabled, and an inotify-enabled kernel, it will use inotify.  However,
some distributions ship gamin with inotify disabled, and the gamin
code isn't compatible with current versions of the inotify patch.

> For example: I have a music folder containing some songs in my home
> directory.  I import this into Rhythmbox.  Now, I buy a new CD and use
> Soundjuicer to rip it.  It creates artist/album/track.ogg in the music
> folder.  It would be nice if these songs just showed up in the Rhythmbox
> library.  I tried exiting and restarting RB, to no avail.

Well, it only monitors for changes to directories already in the
library.  So, it (currently) ignores the creation of that artist/album/
directory, so it doesn't see the files being created inside it.
I think it probably should monitor directories created under
already-monitored directories, so this sort of thing will work.

-jonathan