Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Interface ideas

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 21:22 +0200, Michi wrote:
> http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~monreal/gnome/rb1.png

I like what you've done with the album/artist lists; looks good.

> http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~monreal/gnome/rb2.png

See at the bottom for my queue-related comments.

> http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~monreal/gnome/rb3.png

The information bit looks nice. The various extra sources are something
that I think definitely should get added sometime.

Queue-related comments:
Originally I though that having the queue show up as another source
would be good, but after using for a while I'd have to say that having
it show up as a part of the main interface is much better (at least for
how I use the queue).

When I use it I normally am adding a few songs, and I'm not sure of the
order until the end. So what happens in that I drag the songs into
various places in the queue (not just at the end) and re-order the songs
as I go. Having the queue just as a source without it being on the
"sidebar" would mean I'd have to constantly switch back and forth
between the queue and the library/playlist. The usability of the queue
would dramatically go down for me (and anyone who uses it similarly)
because of "mental context-switch" that would happen when changing to
the queue and back.

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 22:39 +0200, Michi wrote:
> Songs you drag to the queue item on the sidebar should be added to the
> end of the queue. If you drag&hold for a given time (1-2 sec) on the
> queue button, the view shoud change to the queue listview and let you
> put the new song anywhere in the queue.

This could help, but I think that I'd still think that having it change
the main view is slightly disorienting.

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 00:27 +0200, Michi wrote:
> (somewhat releated) question: do people use the "Show Browser"
> expander button? I don't know if I ever used this and at least in the
> readio view it is somewhat strange...

I've never really used net-radio much, so I can't comment on that, but
I use it a fair bit in the library view; and was planning to add it (or
the search box at least) to the playlist view.

My 2c,

James "Doc" Livingston (who should really get back to those things he
started working on two weeks ago)
--
>> After all, everybody's got a water buffalo. -- Ben Coleman
> in their machine room. -- Nix
with the candlestick. -- Christian Bauernfeind
    in the Monastry