[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: rhythmbox-devel Digest, Vol 5, Issue 17

> Rhythmbox checks that all the files present in its library haven't been
> modified when it starts up, that's probably what you are seeing.
> However, it shouldn't prevent you from using it while it's doing that.
> Can you expand a bit on what issues you are having while rhythmbox is
> checking your samba files?

Perhaps it's just that I'm using an older machine (P3 450Mhz, 512Mb
RAM) and that check is just too much for it, but I'm not able to do
much of anything with the whole machine while RB is checking files.
With several thousand songs in my library, this has been taking as
much as 6-8 minutes. My library rarely changes, that's why I thought
an option to simply not check the files at startup may be nice for
this situation. If it's just a matter of needing more processing
power, I guess I'm out of luck - which is fine. While I would LIKE to
be able to just fire up the player and start listening, I know that RB
is doing much more than "just a player" would do.

So far I've only had one crash because of the heavy load and it didn't
crash a second time when I re-launched RB. That's why I didn't really
want to report this as a bug. I would just like the option to make it
behave differently than it does. :)

If there's anything I might be able to do to improve the situation
(besides buying a new computer. :), please let me know!

Thanks!

Aaron