Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Checking remote files

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 22:51 +0200, GCZ wrote:

> It works fine with players like xmms and mplayer, but not with
> rhythmbox. When the URL is added to the library, I guess some kind of
> checking is done, and probably because the stream is encoded on demand,

Downloaded, you mean?  I think this is currently because the GStreamer
metadata loader requires downloading the entire file; IIRC this is due
to oggdemux.

> rhythmbox waits until the entire song has been encoded to add it to the
> library. The added entry shows "<invalid filename>" as title. When I
> want to play it, it causes the stream to be fully re-encoded once more,
> and then plays it.

Yeah, same reason as above I think: oggdemux.

>  The same goes when rhythmbox is run later: it causes
> the stream to be re-encoded while it checks the contents of rhythmdb.xml.

All we're doing is a gnome_vfs_get_file_info; if that downloads the
whole file that sounds like a gnome-vfs bug.  Needs investigation.