[Rhythmbox-devel] "Now Playing" Item in Source List

Hi guys,

I had an idea tonight, take from it what you will. I'm only a happy
user, not a developer.

What if, in the source list, there was a "Now Playing" item? Clicking on
this item would, obviously, show the song that is currently playing.

It's a list that is always there, but it's contents are always changing.
The way it is right now, if a user wants to queue up a few songs, he has
to create a new empty playlist, or clear an already existing playlist.
This way the user can keep all their current playlists and just add
stuff to "Now Playing" if they want to queue it up.

The list is always there, but it's contents are always changing. Right
now, if a user wants to queue up a few songs, he has to create a new
empty playlist, or clear an already existing playlist, and start adding
songs. This way the user can keep all their current playlists untouched
and just add stuff to "Now Playing".

Now let's say I have a playlist called "foo", which I start playing.
"Now Playing" would now show the currently playing song at the top, and
all the next songs in the queue would be showing after it.

The list would start out empty when you first start rhythmbox, until you
start playing something. You could just drag a file to "Now Playing" and
it would start playing.

What's the advantage to this, you ask? Now I can DJ. No matter where I
am in Rhythmbox, I drag a song there and I'll hear it. It's sort of like
the "Master Playlist".

It could also come in handy for double clicking a file in nautilus. I
double click "blah.mp3", and it shows up as the only song in "Now
Playing" (until I add more stuff), but it isn't added to the database
yet.

Not quite sure how shuffle mode would work...

Anyhow, just a thought. What do you guys think?

Rene