Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] song import

Thanks for the -d flag Christophe.  Like Jonas I thought I had observed
a bad regression in song-import performance.  I now think I have a clue
about what was happening in my case.

By way of background, I have approximately 18Gb of .ogg files on a
server which I access from many computers in my home -- among them a
laptop on a slow wireless network.

In the past, I have frequently had to re-read the library from the
laptop, because if I start Rhythmbox when the server is, for some
reason, not visible, Rhythmbox purges the songs from its records.
Reading the library used to take a while, but usually well below 1
hour.

Last week I noticed that this was taking a lot longer. I let the laptop
run overnight (ca. 10 hours).  In the morning the CPU meter was still
pegged so I killed it.

I ran with -d and I noticed that Rhythmbox got hung up on an xmms
playlist file which was sitting among the .ogg files.  I removed the
xmms file and the library now loads in 15 minutes.

Some closing observations:

 o  The .xmms file has been there for a very long time.  It may
    contain some nonsense, but it has not bothered Rhythmbox before.
    It is very possible that the .xmms was written by a client which
    mounted the server disk differently and the .xmms may have
    contained bad paths to the songs.

 o  Although I stay current with debian/unstable, I can not give good
    information about when the new behavior started.

 o  If anything, Rhythmbox now imports my songs *faster* than it did
    before.  Perhaps the rogue .xmms file was slowing it down slightly.

Hope this helps.

   Gisli