[Rhythmbox-devel] Auto rating

You will find some new auto rating patches in my branch
(mterry@fastmail.fm--2004 at http://people.umass.edu/msterry/archive).
I apologize for the lateness of these, having promised them a couple
weeks ago.

I'm not sure I did the merging-my-local-branch arch stuff right.  If
there is a bunch of junk in patch-4, can someone tell me how to get only
the changes I made to show up?

Changes:
* We only auto-rate songs now, not iradio stations, since the algorithm
only works for discrete chunks of sound.
* The default rating for any entry is now 2.5.
* There is a new property (RHYTHMDB_PROP_AUTO_RATE) that controls
auto-rating on a per-entry basis.
* If an entry's rating is manually changed by the user,
RHYTHMDB_PROP_AUTO_RATE is set to FALSE.
* There is now a checkbox in the song-info dialog allowing the user to
toggle auto rating for that song only.  If auto rating is turned off
globally via gconf, the checkbox is insensitive.  This checkbox is
largely designed to allow a user to revert back to auto-rating if he or
she misrated a song.

With these changes, I believe auto rating Just Works.

There was some talk of maybe setting the default for auto-rating to off
and having some UI for toggling that gconf pref in the preference
dialog.  I argue that that would be unnecessary, merely because I think
it is a small use-case we would be going for there.

The only use-case in which we would want easy, in-your-face toggling of
global auto-rating is if the user has a pre-existing database of
hand-rated songs that they don't want being toyed with.  Because, if a
new user just wants hand-rated songs, auto-rating will be turned off for
each song individually.  So, is this segment large enough that we want
to expose UI for the gconf setting?

I guess the other use-case for disabling global auto-rating is if the
user wants evenly-weighted random playing.  But, there is already a play
order for that, right?

If ya'll want space in the preference dialog or auto-rating defaulting
to off, I can whip up a patch, but you know how I feel about it.

-mt

This is a digitally signed message part